Hot SC News!

How To Setup Star Citizen | Performance Guide

Jun

This Article will be updated from patch to patch with the latest setup & optimization fixes, guides and signposting. Today I am going to show you various Tweaks to Star Citizen that you can use to improve performance on slower systems or make SC look better on higher systems OR a mixture of the two as well as other improvements for the game.

IMPORTANT – SOMETIMES ERRORS IN START CITIZEN CAN OCCUR WITH THESE CHANGES, PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN POSTING TO THE ISSUE COUNCIL, YOU SHOULD TRY AND REPEAT THE ERROR FIRST WITHOUT A USER.CFG

Here are links to the Other Important Guides you will need:

Windows 10 Gaming & Tweaks Guide

Star Citizen Resources & Hot Fixes

Grab The Latest Graphics Card Drivers

AMD Radeon / Crimson Drivers | 16.12.2 Crimson ReLive Driver – 9th Jan 2017

Nvidia Geforce Drivers | 376.60 Geforce Driver – 10th Jan 2017

Load Star Citizen Quicker

• (Where you installed Star Citizen) \Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen
  • In The Public OR Test Folder
  • Find \Data\_fastload
  • Delete IntroMovies.pak OR Move it Elsewhere
  • No More Splash Screens Before The Game Loads
  • In some rare situations it may cause a Bug with Arena Commander, You Can RE- Download the IntroMovies.pak & Replace it back in the folder OR Verify Files on the Launcher to Fix if you get that issue.

Close The Launcher

The Star Citizen Launcher can be resource hungry, after the game is launched ensure it’s closed.

In fact you can create a shortcut to run the game from Cloud Imperium Games\StarCitizen\Public\Bin64 & Run the StarCitizen.exe (I suggest you run it as an administrator)

The Game doesn’t require the launcher to run as long as you have logged in once (it creates a login.json file) , IT DOES however need to be updated from time to time, so if you you are running straight from the .exe & you can’t get on try running the launcher, there might be an update.

Make Star Citizen Run Faster

Unpark Your Core & Threads
There is a great freeware program that stops threads from “parking” which is basically a power saving mode & makes sure they are ready to use constantly.
The effect of this is better performance in games & quicker response in general.

Networking Improvements

The Star Citizen mini-PU servers are mostly Server bound when it comes to performance, hence why you sometimes only get 20fps but also the lack of regional servers can also lead to some Latency, poor Pings & Round Trip Times. Setting and Tweaking your Network Settings can help a lot.

TCP Optimizer 4

This program allows you to go through each of the important settings to Tweak your Rig & Network Adapter for Online Gaming & doesn’t require you to go thru the Registry.

• Download the Program Here
  • Right Click TCPOptimizer & Run as Admin
  • Set Your Connection Speed & The Rest of The Options as Shown

You can do a bit of Research & maybe get better results too

• Each of the Settings has a tooltip
  • You can read the full explanation and Program Manual Here
  • In The General Settings some of the settings require situational subjective optimization based on your needs, tho Optimal should still give you an improvement.
  • If You are Having Issues you can always set it to Optimal OR Windows Default

USER.cfg Guide

What is it?

USER.cfgs allow you to get into all the hidden options and settings of Star Citizen and it’s engine. You can use it to improve performance, improve quality OR just change various settings to your personal preference. It’s the most powerful way of changing the quality of your Star Citizen Experience & the joy of it is that you can totally tailor your own USER.cfg to your needs. For example disabling motion blur!

How to install

The Guide shows you how to create you own totally custom USER file BUT you can use one of our 3 pre-mades as is or as a basis for your own.

See The Full Guide & The Latest USER.cfgs Here – http://www.redacted.tv/custom-user-cfg-guide-star-citizen-alpha-2-x/

Windows 10 Gaming & Tweak Guide

What is it?

There are soo many Windows, System, Graphics, Driver, and Registry Tweaks you can do to get better in game performance as well as Simple Overclocking. If you are a regular gamer it’s worth setting your rig up correctly. This guide goes through a huge amount of those Tweaks & shows how to simply implement them. But it goes through making sure you have the latest system and graphics drivers too.

How to Install

• Go to The Windows 10 Gaming & Tweak Guide
  • They are all relevant to Windows 10 & each have different ways to install.
  • Just go through the guide doing everything that is relevant to you.

Making Star Citizen Look Better – SweetFX & Reshade

What is it?

SweetFX is a collection of post-processing shader effects for your games. Add SMAA anti-aliasing, sharpening, tweak the color, gamma, exposure and more. Xenthor’s Reshade is a great Star Citizen Pre-set for it that improves the way Star Citizen looks especially with Lighting, Shadows and General Visual Quality. There are 2 Shader Packs that I recommend you can choose between

Xenthor’s Reshade – My preferred Shader Pack, adds more defination and details to lighting and textures without over saturating color.

How to install

PLEASE NOTE

• SweetFX can cause issues with MSI Afterburner & EVGA Precision.
  • After a Patch SweetFX & USER.cfg remain, I recommend moving or deleting and re-installing new supported versions.

Other Resources & Tweaks

What is it?

The resource page contains links to the latest FAQs, Issues, Useful Apps, Star Citizen Port information & bug fixes like the 100% CPU Utilization Bug.

It’s as much about your gaming experience as it is performance.

• Just checkout the Resources Page and see if anything there is relevant to you.

DSR / VSR – Super Resolutions

What is it?

This is the process of downscaling higher resolutions to lower ones.

For example I use it to Render in 1440p or 4k then downscale it to 1080p

This gives some quality benefits in the forms of reducing Aliasing, detail is clearer, effects and shadows better, and overall image quality far superior.

This is an extremely resource intensive feature but for higher end machines or even for mid range machines wanting to downscale from 1440p you can get some amazing results.

Installing – Make sure you have the Latest Drivers for your Graphics Card Then:

AMD GFX VSR Settings – Virtual Super Res

Enable Virtual Super Resolution – Check On Apply

Nvidia DSR Settings (Dynamic Super Res)

DSR Factors – For 1080p Native – Choose 1.75x for 1440p & 4x for 4k

DSR – Smoothness (this reduces aliasing that occurs but you want to go for the lowest % you can for the best image quality without make images too jagged) You’ll want to adjust smoothness to your preference – For 1440p I go for around 17% but for 4k only 10%.

General Hardware

Something like a Nvidia GTX 970 or AMD R9 290 can run Star Citizen great as long as the system is set up right.

My Recommendations are for a GTX 1060 at the budget – mid range it’s only £220 / $230 & they run the game amazingly at 1080p on high settings.

Checkout this video on building a $100 Gaming PC to house your $200 Graphics Card!

Afterthought

I am really enjoying the extra performance and quality I can squeeze out of star citizen, in the future I would expect most of these features to be accessible more easily or to be directly included.

And that’s it, hopefully that should keep you tweaking SC and your system for a while whether you are going for Performance trying to get a lower end system to be playable or a high end system utilizing it’s full potential OR just trying to improve your general star citizen experience.

Please tell me what you think, do you think I’ve left anything out, what frame rates and systems are you guys getting/using? Remember during June we are giving away a Buccaneer to a commenter who comments on any of our Star Citizen Content & if it’s not June I am sure we have some form of Giveaway with similar rules going on. Please don’t forget to like & sub & I’ll see you in the Verse.

Please Checkout XenthorX’s Youtube Channel FOR AMAZING LOOKING Star Citizen Videos.

System Specs

Star Citizen USER.cfg Guide

Star Citizen Resources

Help Support Our Channel
DONATE – twitch.streamlabs.com/BoredGamerUK
PATREON – www.patreon.com/BoredGamer
YOUTUBE – www.youtube.com/BoredGamerUK

The following two tabs change content below.

BoredGamerUK

Content Creator
I am BoredGamer a full time Youtuber from the UK, specializing in Star Citizen News, Tutorials, Guides, Tips, Ticks, Videos & Content as well as VR & Technology.
Support me on PATREON!
    Dec 30, 2016 @ 23:49 pm

Hey, real quick Mr Gamer.

I have a pretty similar pc build to yours and i see you running the PU in such good frames, yet whatever .cfg file i try to use it changes nothing..i get 20-30 fps in the pu and its making me mental.

Here are my specs: Gpu-gtx 1080

cpu-4790k, 16gb ram ddr3, asus z97-a motherboard, 750watt power supply.

i get 60fps in Star marine and arena commander and im wondering if maybe something about the rig is holding me back?

I know the pu is a mess in terms of optimization but literally anything would be a gift at this point.

Nov 13, 2016 @ 5:14 am

Very nice guide Bored. Thanks you!

Eli Kramer
    Nov 7, 2016 @ 22:11 pm

Hey, BoredGamer. I've been wondering what people's secret to 60fps is. I only get 10-20.I know my CPU is fairly ancient, but I have a great GPU.Specs:GPU:  NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GBCPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core 2.40 GHzRAM: 8GBOS: Windows 7 64-bitDirectX Version: 11

Sep 19, 2016 @ 11:53 am

Hey, after only having like 8fps in the universe i followed this howto and arrived in..well 10fps in the universe. My System is: Win7 64bitAMD FX 8320 8coreAMD Radeon r7 370 2gb ddr5 (overclocked 1150 core / 1500 memory)12 gig ram I know my graphics card is weak, but i thiought she'd handle Star citizen.  So is it really on my end? Do i need to buy a new graphics card or is there something  juste running wrong with my system?my user.cfg: Con_Restricted = 0sys_spec = 3sys_maxfps = 60r_VSync = 0r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 256e_ShadowsPoolSize = 128e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 128e_ShadowsReScale = 0.1e_GsmCache = 0r_TexMaxAnisotropy = 16r_TexMinAnisotropy = 16r_Sharpening = 0.0i_Mouse_Accel = 0.0i_Mouse_Smooth = 0.0r_MotionBlur = 0r_DepthOfField = 0r_ShadowBlur = 0g_radialBlur = 0r_HDRBrightLevel = 0r_HDRBloomRatio = 0hud_bobHud = 0r_ChromaticAberration = 0r_ssdo = 0r_ssao = 0r_SilhouettePOM = 0r_SSReflections = 0r_ColorGrading = 1r_TesselationTriangleSize = 20r_TessellationTriangleSize = 20e_LodRatio = 4 Any help appreciated!

Sep 8, 2016 @ 1:50 am

Hey BoredGamer, I thought the fps I am getting was pretty normal for my specs but after seeing this video and your specs I want to ask you what you think. My specs:Intel i5 2500k overclocked to 4.5ghz (using Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO)EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB Asus P8Z68-V Motherboard 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600mhzCorsair HX850 Power SupplyThe game is on an OCZ Vertex 4 SSD1440p monitor Windows 10 Pro 64 bitGaming on very high (changing the setting hardly makes a difference to fps) and using the same user.cfgInternet speeds are good, latest drivers are installed, etc.Not counting the occasional freeze or a few seconds of lag, I'm usually getting 15-30 fps in the PU, and averaging low 20's. While you have a newer and better rig, it certainly isn't twice as powerful, so getting over double the fps at the same resolution and settings doesn't make any sense. If you're getting around 60 fps with your rig, shouldn't I be getting 30-40 with mine? Is there something I'm missing or this game just doesn't do as well with this particular combination of PC parts? Not sure if this has something to do with it but I should mention that I get the 100% CPU utilization bug almost every time I load into the game, which affects performance and makes my camera sluggish. I fix it every time but I'm still getting the fps I mentioned above.

Sep 3, 2016 @ 16:12 pm

What is your frame rate in Vanduul Swarm Drone Match?

UINS_Tramps_Nest
      Sep 3, 2016 @ 20:37 pm

hi man , thanks for getting back , yeah its between 40 and 50 in drone match

Sep 3, 2016 @ 8:48 am

fyi , doesnt matter if i use your performance or ultra settings frames are the same.. so i'll stick with ultra

tramps

UINS_Tramps_Nest
    Sep 3, 2016 @ 8:10 am

Dude i'd realy like a chat with you at some point.i get nothing but low frames, i've used all of your windows tweaks, performance tweaks etc.i run an AMD rig (don't ask me why anymore).i've got a fx 9590be 8core running at 4.7ghz, crossfired Fury-x's and 32gb of corsair vengeance pro at 2400hz on a v-formula-z mobo.i hit 20fps most of the time.i know there are server side restrictions but i know guys with lower spec rigs getting constant better fps than  i do.i'd like to maybe try and get you in discord one day for a talk ?i think you may have our org' discord from krullen nostromo in the past but if there's anyway you can come chat with us it would be sweet , most of us are pulling our hair out with performance issues even though some org' members are doubling our fps so we know it's capable of being better.any time you could spare would be much apreciated and maybe we could jump  in the verse too :)cheers Dude,Tramps.

Aug 28, 2016 @ 22:35 pm

I didn't get any form of Freeware with the unparking utiliy, it doesn't install it's just an extractable, maybe you clicked something else?

Hmmm but that would make me silly! Alright I'll go back and check it out ty!

Aug 28, 2016 @ 15:28 pm

I did not see a percentage of usage for cpu thread troubleshooting in task manager either. I was able to see the visual intrepetation of the load on each thread but no numbers representing what that actually was.

Aug 28, 2016 @ 12:22 pm

And what is all this freeware stuff that came with the unparking utility? I tried to deselect everything during installation and it still gave me four addware programs.

Aug 27, 2016 @ 20:13 pm

Hey Boredgamer,

Thanks for your guide, the Utilization of the CPU Threads and the Unparking worked pretty well for me. I still get freezes every now and then which can be rather short but also pretty long. Now i made a little observation, which may be relevant, but at the same time kinda strange. When I get the freezes, my CPU Utilization sinks, while the HDD Utilization rises too 100% (as seen on the screenshot). But here's the strange thing. I got Star Citizen installed on my SSD and not on the HDD, which is old and very slow btw, so I don't know what causes this.

But after this observation I unplugged my HDD and started Star Citizen again and I'm not having freezes anymore, and the Task Manager shows that the HDD utilizazion stays at 0% as it should. After plugging in the HDD again, it remains without freezes.

So if anyone has these freezes, maybe you should check if the wrong Hard Drive is utilized while playing Star Citizen. Just an observation which seems to be working for me.

Derakos Zrux
    Aug 24, 2016 @ 15:16 pm

Hey Bored I'm probably over thinking it but how do you know if one of your CPUs is running at 100% I only see one usage number, which is hanging around 65%, but then I see four graphs with no numbers. One of those graphs seems consistantly higher than the others, but I wasn't sure if that's what you meant by running at 100%.Also when I followed the instructions, one of the other graphs started running higher than the other three. Thanks for your help!

Derakos Zrux
      Aug 24, 2016 @ 15:22 pm

Aug 12, 2016 @ 15:57 pm

Thank you to Reddit User gibs for sharing the way to remove splash screens –  https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4xd3ki/if_you_hate_waiting_for_the_startup_splash_screens/

Jul 5, 2016 @ 19:08 pm

Thanks for this guide – really useful

Morrison051
    Jul 5, 2016 @ 19:08 pm

Hey BoardGamer,Awesome info. My son has a slower laptop, and I want to try the performance cfg file. Do I copy and paste as is into the notepad, or cut out the descriptions right before the file change lines.?  Thanks in advance, and I love your vids, keep em up.

Aug 12, 2016 @ 13:18 pm

You can just grab the file and put it in the folder DONE

If you want to edit it, do it in notepad

Jun 21, 2016 @ 5:53 am

Have a question to you BoardGamer about Star citizen. After 2.4 update my game is nearly unplayable. Before it was fine but after this patch when Im in Port Olisar or Arc my game freezes every few seconds for a few seconds or longer. I tried your user.cfg I tried to expand my core usage on the CPU, tried a few other things and non of it works. I just play smoother in the hanger but on Port Olisar or Arc nothing has changed. Wanted to know if you heard of this, maybe its the servers, I don't know? I was curious if you heard of this or if theres a fix. I have a Alien.ware gaming computer and I can play PS4 games 1080p 60fps looking better than on  PS4 but on this game keeps freezing every few seconds. This only happened after 2.4 patch before it was fine wasn't perfect. Just curious if you know anything for Im not computer savvy. I see yours plays very smooth.

Aug 12, 2016 @ 13:18 pm

Updated for people who seem to be CPU bound incorrectly – Make sure you checkout the Windows 10 Guide too BUT unpark your cores & try to CPU utilization bug.

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Forgot your password?
Discussions:
11,884
Messages:
15,493
Members:
4,923
Latest Member:
Samuel2008
Total: 15 (members 2, guests: 7, robots: 6)

[REDACTED] Podcast